What is a Rapid Improvement Event?
By Olga Murdoch, UCD Agile
An RIE is an approach to project delivery that enables effective and efficient multi-domain collaboration, decision-making and action through direct involvement of key stakeholders in the process.
An RIE brings together staff with hands on experience and empowers them to:
- Contribute to a common understanding of what the current state is, what the issues/opportunities are and how to address the causes
- Take the authority to make decisions for short term and medium term improvement
- Implement the short term improvements
Short term: make decisions that will result in immediate change to improve the current state
- Actionable by the areas participating
- Actionable immediately – typically implemented within 4 weeks
- Low cost/effort for high impact
Medium term: make recommendations towards achieving the ideal state
- Delivered as recommendations through the appropriate group/individual
- If approved, progressed through appropriate channels
- Higher cost/effort for high impact
If you would like to talk to us about using a Rapid Improvement Event to tackle a challenge you are facing, contact us at email@example.com.
If you have been involved in a Rapid Improvement Event in UCD and would like to share your experience, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.